Monday, June 25, 2007

Done - iPhone Cream


I've finally finished the first version of iPhone Cream, a site "where the best iPhone applications rise to the top". It works very much like Digg but the scope is very different: this is exclusively for iPhone web applications and ideas. I want it to become not only a great resource for iPhone owners (iPhone version coming soon) but also a great resource for developers to find great ideas for web apps. There are tons of iPhone app directories out there but the problem with most of them is that a lot of the stuff they post to the front page is pretty poor and this will only increase as thousands more web developers start developing "iPhone Apps". I don't think what goes on the front page should be something an editor decides. I think that it should be based on the actual popularity of the app (or idea).

But a "Digg for iPhone apps" isn't my ultimate  goal. I like the way Digg works and that is why I used pligg as my CMS but I have much bigger plans for iPhone Cream. To give you an idea of where I'm going I'll give you a few of my observations and thoughts:  I think the majority of people that will eventually use iPhone Cream will be actual iPhone users browsing with an actual iPhone; I think small fry developers will want a easy way to host their cool iPhone applications without having to buy full fledged hosting service and domain name; I think that iPhone users will want to use an alternative to the default "bookmarks" to launch their favorite web apps... And more that "I can't talk about" :)

Watch this space for updates.