Friday, April 20, 2007

Freebase and DBPedia should work together


Michael Bergman blogged a while back about what DBPedia is all about. I think it is a great idea. Why not get all the structured information that is already on wikipedia and make it useable?

I've talked a lot about Freebase on this blog. Freebase and DBPedia are working toward similar goals. Why not work together? Why enter information twice when the information on both systems is under the creative commons license? I think it would be great if all the great structured information on DBPedia could be integrated into Freebase. I don't know all that this would involve and who would be involved in doing it but in my limited experience it doesn't seem like it would be a huge task.

Here are some links to blogs that talk about Freebase in relation to DBPedia or vice versa:
Freebase and DBPedia
O'Reilly
Article by Michael Bergman