Thursday, April 19, 2007

Logos – simple vs complex

I've been mocking up some logos for a neighborhood and I've hit this issue. What is better: simple or complex? I don't think there is a universal answer. In this case I gravitate toward liking the complex logos but there may be bias there (it took me quite a bit more time to make them). The common advise is to keep logos simple and I think I agree with that. But... because a logo is simple doesn't mean it is good. There are other factors too. How memorable is the logo? What does the logo say about the business? Etc.

What do you think about this issue?

Here are a few of the first draft logos (in order of simplicity):









As an aside, all my design work is done using Photoshop Elements. It's less than $100 and I'm able to do quite a bit with it.